If your boyfriend has a bedroom voice (deep and soulful), then he’ll give you lots of kids if you decide to hook up with him.
Justin Timberlake: His high-pitched voice may be captivating lots of girls but whether he could really “satisfy” them is another matter.
But if your boyfriend has a high-pitched voice like that of Justin Timberlake, don’t expect to build a family football team, or even a basketball team. Chances are you’ll only be playing solitaire with him.
Previous studies conducted by David Feinberg of McMaster University in Canada have shown that women are more attracted to men with deeper voices, judging them to be older, healthier and more masculine than their higher-pitched rivals.
Men, on the other hand, go for women with higher pitched voices because they find them more attractive, subordinate, feminine, healthier and younger-sounding.
In the new study, detailed in a recent issue of the journal “Biology Letters,” Feinberg set out to see how that attraction to deeper-voiced men affected reproduction and the survival of offspring.
“While we find in this new study that voice pitch is not related to offspring mortality rates,” Feinberg said, “we find that men with low voice pitch have higher reproductive success and more children born to them.”
To look for any relationship between voice pitch and birth rates, the researchers studied the Hadza tribe of Tanzania, one of the last true hunter-gatherer cultures. Because the Hadza have no modern birth control, the researchers were able to compare birth rates without any outside influencing factors.
They found that Hadza men with deeper voices had more children than those with higher voices.
This relationship could give insight into the evolution of the human voices as well as how we choose our mates.
“If our ancestors went through a similar process,” Feinberg said, “this could be one reason why men’s and women’s voices sound different.”
The only problem here is that both men and women can change the way their voice sounds. So after reading this article, guys wanting to impress their girlfriends could pick up the phone and talk to their girlfriends in a voice several notches below the normal pitch.
Of course the fake bedroom-voice guys could easily be uncovered. You could surprise them by throwing them a real-looking plastic mouse or lizard or spider. If they shriek to high heavens, you can bet their sperm doesn’t have it!
While we’re at this subject, here are 10 interesting facts about human sexuality:
1. The sex lives of our prehistoric ancestors’ were similar to the promiscuous, no-commitment bonobo chimpanzees.
2. Women in ancient Egypt prevented pregnancy by putting plugs made of crocodile droppings on their “you know what.”
3. Proportionally and compared to other primates, human males have massive genitalia.
4. Based on artifacts and cave paintings, Ice Age women were likely to enjoy sex as much as their male mates.
5. In 2005, the average first time for US girls occurred at the age of 17.
6. Known aphrodisiacs of the food world include chocolate, oysters and spicy foods.
7. That females have a weaker sex drive than men is a cultural misconception.
8. The most common sexual problem among men is premature ejaculation.
9. It is a common misconception that pregnancy can’t occur without male orgasm.
10. Whether put to use or not, males produce about 300 million sperms every day! (That’s 300 million babies every day if they all hit their targets!)