I was watching Discovery Channel today where they talk about “Free Births” growing moderately in Europe and the USA. Free Birth is a birthing process where pregnant women have opted to give birth at home without medical attention. Unassisted birth where women feel liberated in choice that no one has “violated” them in any way. This was how some felt when going through the medically assisted birthing process.
To date though, unassisted childbirth is opposed by medical professionals with experience in providing care to mothers giving birth. This has caused some would-be mothers to keep their personal choice very confidential… sometimes not even with the company of friends and family, except the husband.
From Wikipedia.org, here are a few points why one considers Free births:
The reasons for choosing to give birth unassisted range greatly from mother to mother but a few key factors are common to most.
- The conviction that birth is a normal function of the female body and therefore not a medical emergency.
- The belief that most interventions commonly used by the medical profession during birth cause more harm than good in a normal birth.
- The sense that the mother will be more apt to follow the natural flow of her individual birth in an undisturbed birth setting, thus enabling her to find the optimum positions or techniques to birth her child safely.
- The understanding that birth is an intimate, sexual, and potentially orgasmic experience, and that privacy is absolutely essential for the erotic dimension of birth.
- A noted increase in the feelings and ability to bond with and take responsibility for the welfare of her child.