The dangers don’t end when the flames are put out. Fire damage can linger for years, and if you try to DIY with a cleanup, you probably won’t get all of the soot and flourishing mold from the water that tamed the fire. “Soot” is the residue left over from the smoke, and what exactly makes up the smoke can depend on a lot of things—like what burned, from an electrical fire due to faulty tech equipment to a chimney fire, and whether or not it was toxic. Both soot and mold are dangerous leftovers from a house fire and why homeowners deserve professional fire damage cleanup.
Not all soot is necessarily dangerous, but do you want to take that risk? Likewise, not all water damage will lead to mold, black mold or mildew production. But again, are you ready to take that gamble? Not only do homeowners not have the appropriate tools, knowledge and experience to (safely!) clean up after a fire, they might unintentionally expose themselves to dangerous particles in the process. [Read more…]