Good TV is hard to find these days. Good TV for kids I mean, and probably grownups too since there is “inner child among each of us.”
An Apple Today found a classic video about good TV and good health. It’s a clip from that classical TV for kids show “Sesame Street” highlighting to kids the 10 Commandments for good health.
1) Wash your hands before you eat. This simple yet often neglected health tip still proves to be one of the best ways of fending off sickness and staying healthy. If you can’t wash your hands with soap or water, get one of those nifty hand sanitizers or ‘alcogels’ on the go.
2) Brush your teeth after every meal. Going to the dentist may scare the jeepers out of you but regularly visiting your dentist would keep your teeth in good shape and spare you from those torturous sudden strikes of toothaches that could render the most hard my of men bed ridden for a week.
3) See your doctor and your dentist. It is really puzzling how men and women could spend thousands of dollars every year for the regular check and tune up of their cars and vehicles but would cringe or pass off the idea of visiting their doctors and dentists at least every other month. Health care is even provided for free by the government in some countries and still people only visit their physicians once their illness gets worse.
4) Cover your nose when you sneeze. Be a good person, take a piece of tissue or hanky with you, use it to cover your nose every time you sneeze. The flu and other common yet deadly diseases could easily be transmitted through sneezing. It’s not only good, it’s also polite and respectful.
5) Cover your mouth when you cough. Even if you’re just going to clear your throat, please cover your mouth. Just like sneezing, coughing could easily spread airborne diseases and pathogens that could wreak havoc in your neighborhood or right in your home.
6) Stay warm in cold weather. It’ll save you from colds and the flu. Stay in doors during the winter or in the storm season.
7) Exercise to keep in shape. Get up and off your butts, move a little to your left then to your right. Jog around the block every morning, take the stairs if it’s manageable instead of the elevator. If you can’t go to the gym find some ways of taking exercise it will keep those unwanted fat away and keep you in good shape.
8 ) Take a shower every day. Do not just wash your hands, wash your entire body by taking a shower every day. It doesn’t only keeps you cool, it keeps you clean and refreshed.
9) Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. We’re telling you to stay away from those burgers and hotdogs all together. Just balance it off with some fresh fruits and vegetables every now and then. If greens can keep an elephant strong and big, it can certainly keep you strong and healthy.
10) Sleep adequately. This may not be the exact last commandment in the video because I can’t make sense of it really, but sleeping at least 8 hours a day would do wonders for your body.
These simple and easy-to-do health reminders were brought to us by the Sesame Street muppets long ago. It’s what good TV used to be and should be.
Power Puff Girls or Justice League? World War II has shown all the violence I could see thank you!